Sunday, January 29, 2012

Action Research and Social Justice

I have discovered through my assignment this week that action research can be impleneted in every facet of educational administration.  One aspect of my research that stood out to me was the impact that action research can have on the social justice or social equality in schools.  This subject peaked my interest because I became an educator to impact the lives of students.  I cringe at the idea of dismissing the educational rights of the under-priviledged or the misunderstood.  It is disheartening to witness this in my school - indifference towards a certain population of students because of their "differences".  These "differences" stem from multiple sources: economic status, race, and mental capacity.  However, the students that I truly want to help are those that have behavioral issues.  These students that pride themselves on an unwillingness to conform are the ones that are generally labeled by most teachers.  A common phrase that I have witnesses through out my career is, "I only teach those that want to learn."  I believe that action research can give an educator a "window" into these children's lives.  When this information can be communicated to the teachers, steps towards social equality can be taken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment