Sunday, February 12, 2012

Action Plan Focus

I know exactly what I want to do for my research project and I am excited about the process and the results.  My site supervisor has provided great insight as well.  However, the verbiage of my "question" is still not staisfactory in opinion.  My goal is to meet the needs of teachers, students, and the school by re-implementing the policy that freshmen attend 2 algebra classes every semester instead of just one (double blocking).  I am tinkering with, "How can school scheduling requirements, student needs, and teacher scheduling needs be satisfied through my school's re-implementation of double blocking freshmen in algebra classes?"  This question encompasses numerous facets of my research, but not all.  Through my research I also want to investigate better strategies for scheduling each freshmen in 2 algebra classes a semester.  I hope to be able to present a progressive and innovative plan to my principal and math coordinator upon the end of my research.  Another question would be, "How can the stucture of double blocking freshmen algebra students be most efficient and beneficial in regards to mathematical growth?"  Is my idea too broad?  My site supervisor doesn't think so.  I don't think so either.  After all, action research is meant to be better than the typical shallow, generic research.  I would love to hear opinions. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about the importance of each of the facets of your research. In order to get a solid answer, you need to be able to examine all of the relating factors. As a student in the same situation as you (teacher and student), I would be pretty intimidated by the amount of time and work that would go into an all-encompasing research project. It might be easier to try to simplify your idea since this is our first time implementing an action research study. My principal said that it would be better to keep it simple and get accurate data, than to try to carry too much at once and drop everything. Just my opinion. I'd hate to feel overwhelmed and not enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete